Tuesday, September 17, 2013

6 Easy Things

A few years ago I began an unsuspecting descent into complete hippydom.  The transition was slow - one minute I was researching recyclables and the next I am wearing homemade deodorant and experimenting with baking soda-based shampoos...

Because I tend to think about environmentally-friendly choices all the time, I am still a little surprised when I find out some people don't own recycle bins, or that they eat off paper plates each (or even the occasional) night, and I visibly cringe when I see a plastic bottle in a garbage can.

Yet, I would rate our family as "Intermediate" on the scale of wastefulness - We are mindful and do a lot, but we are still far from where I would like to be in terms of limiting waste and eliminating the use of chemicals in our home.  Check out the Zero Waste Home for an example of "advanced".  

At the risk of appearing preachy (I DO feel this is important stuff!), here are are 6 easy adjustments to consider for your home:

1. Plastic Shower Curtain Liner -  Get rid of it.  Free yourself of the need to clean it or replace it -
we've been using the decorative cloth curtain instead.  It works just as well.

2. Cloth Napkins - Easy, reusable, more attractive...
 
3. Use Real Silverware & Drinking Glasses - Again, easy, reusable, more attractive... I have recently given up all my plastic reusable water bottles for a plan old drinking glass at work (complete with coaster).

4. Wash Cloths - Handy, reusable, and perfectly sanitary to use to clean counters, wash baby faces, grown-up bodies, and dishes. All you are adding a teensy-bit more laundry - but not much, wash cloths are pretty small.

5. Handkerchiefs - For the occasional tears and nose dab, a hanky works great!  If you are sick and need to use something more frequently, just have a stack available.  

6. Bar Soap - Less packaging than shower gel and much cheaper!  


As with everything - I am not perfect...for everything I do well, there is a list of "opportunities".  I try not to stress when I can't follow the "rules" and I do my best to focus on what I can do better next time.

If you aren't already, you should try it too.

2 comments:

  1. Try replacing your cotton balls with these cotton pads--I use them when I was my face every night and they get better with wear (they're not very absorbent until they've been washed a few times).
    http://www.etsy.com/listing/93864792/organic-cotton-facial-rounds-reusable?ref=shop_home_active

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS. Some of my "harmless home" experiments have totally failed. I gave up and bought dishwasher detergent the other day. It got so humid this summer that all of my homemade stuff was hard as a rock. I had to put it a blender every time I wanted to use it. It was a big mess and a waste of time. Still haven't needed to use any shampoo/conditioner this year though so, you know, you win some, you lose some.

    ReplyDelete